In the European Parliament since 2004, he is a member of the faction of the European People’s Party (Christian Democrats). Chairman of the Committee on Agriculture and Rural Development since 2014 to 2019, formerly First Vice-Chairman.
He also works in the Committee on Economic and Monetary Affairs and Delegations for relations with Canada and the People’s Republic of China.
In 1997-2004, he was a member of the Sejm of the Republic of Poland.
He performed, among others functions:
– Secretary of State in the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (2001-2003),
– Government Plenipotentiary for Preparing Polish Agriculture for Integration with the European Union.
– Member of, among others European Sejm Integration Committee (1997-2004), the Parliamentary Joint Commission of the Polish Parliament and the European Parliament (1997-2001),
– Vice-chairman of the Economy Committee (1997-2001),
– Observer of the Sejm of the Republic of Poland in the European Parliament (2003-2004).
Doctor of economic and agricultural sciences, academic teacher, author of many scientific and popular science publications at the Warsaw University of Life Sciences (SGGW). As the Director of the Foundation for Assistance Programs for Agriculture (1994-1998), he made a significant contribution to activities aimed at preparing Polish rural areas and agriculture for integration with the European Union.
It belongs to the Association of Agricultural Engineers and Technicians, the Polish Economic Society and the Scientific Society of Organization and Management.
Decorated with the Knight’s Cross of the Order of Polonia Restituta (1997).
Creator and head of the think tank of the PSL Political Institute. Maciej Rataj. Chairman of the Program Council of the social and political quarterly REALIA. Member of the Supreme Executive Committee of the Polish People’s Party.